Writer's group East Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writer's group East Online

A place for us to discuss anything writing and to respond to weekly writing prompts.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is this the right place?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Darren

Is this the right place? Empty
PostSubject: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 1:28 am

*shakes snow off of shoes*

Oooh, pardon my manners.

*takes off hat and coat*

I might as well stay a while, no?

My name means "great rocky hill" in Old English. I am an Aquarius. Sometimes I think I'm Stan Lee. Sometimes I think I'm Joe The Plumber's leftie cousin. Sometimes I wake up and find myself in a dank, dingy warehouse doing manual labor. Sometimes I feel like screaming at Heaven. Sometimes I feel like barging into Hell and giving Lucifer a fat lip.

I want to be POTUS. I want to sing in a band that's only popular in Europe and Asia. I want to write the Great American Comic Book Story. I want to fight crime. I want to end that which causes crime. I want to save the world. I want to fall in love. I want to be loved and hated by the right people. I want all of those things at once or at least in monthly installments.

I want to you decide for yourselves whether I am insane or brilliant.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rebecca
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 2:05 am

Welcome!!! Yay--you found us! I find it is always best if you start with brilliant and then work your way back to whatever you think fits best!! Can't wait to read your work. I am currently reading Maus--an awesome comic/allegory about the holocaust.
Back to top Go down
http://writerseast.poeticforum.com
Darren

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 2:14 am

Alyssa wrote:
Welcome!!! Yay--you found us! I find it is always best if you start with brilliant and then work your way back to whatever you think fits best!! Can't wait to read your work. I am currently reading Maus--an awesome comic/allegory about the holocaust.

Thanks Julie. Maus is great. I got to attend a lecture Art Speigelman gave a few years ago.

Would you believe he created The Garbage Pail Kids? lol.
Back to top Go down
Julie
Admin
Julie

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 2:19 am

Welcome, Darren! It looks like Alyssa already got your coat and hat? Let me know if you need a drink - currently we have egg nog flavored coffee, juice, and water--lol. As you can see though, we are certainly working on stocking the "pantry" with all kinds of goodies. Glad you're here. Please feel free to post anything, stories, suggestions, questions.

-Julie
Back to top Go down
mkc75

mkc75

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 3:54 am

Darren wrote:
Alyssa wrote:

Thanks Julie. Maus is great. I got to attend a lecture Art Speigelman gave a few years ago.

OH MY GOODNESS!! I LOVED the MUSE books!! Tell me bout the lecture Darren! Oh! Lord my manners have deserted me! Welcome Darren, I look forward to reading what you have written. And I agree with Alyssa, start at brilliant, and work to be what you are.....
Back to top Go down
http://storywrite.com/Mkc75
Rebecca
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:33 am

I'm curious Darren-- How did you find us? I'm trying to keep unofficial track of how most of the members get here so we can keep finding new ones.
Back to top Go down
http://writerseast.poeticforum.com
Darren

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 am

Alyssa wrote:
I'm curious Darren-- How did you find us? I'm trying to keep unofficial track of how most of the members get here so we can keep finding new ones.

Julie told me about it. We've been friends for a few years and has critiqued some of my work.
Back to top Go down
Darren

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 am

mkc75 wrote:
Darren wrote:
Alyssa wrote:

OH MY GOODNESS!! I LOVED the MUSE books!! Tell me bout the lecture Darren! Oh! Lord my manners have deserted me! Welcome Darren, I look forward to reading what you have written. And I agree with Alyssa, start at brilliant, and work to be what you are.....

Speigelman's lecture was interesting. He basically made the case for comics as a legit art form with its own "language" for people unfamiliar to the medium. He focused on underground/indie comics and newspaper strips and sort of lamented the prominence of superhero comics. There was a slide show along with that, and he entertained questions for about a half an hour.

It was funny how he made his entrance. He just sort of sauntered onstage and lit up a cigarette.
Back to top Go down
mkc75

mkc75

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:27 am

Sounds like it was a very good evening! I would have loved to have seen that!
Back to top Go down
http://storywrite.com/Mkc75
Darren

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:05 am

Yeah it was a lot of fun. I could have listened to him for hours.
Back to top Go down
sarafaith

sarafaith

PostSubject: You are probably brilliant, Darren   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 6:55 am

But even if you are not, your dry wit brings a smile to my face.
And, hey, being hated by the right people and giving Lucifer a fat lip are both respectable goals.
Welcome and nice to meet you!

--Sarah

Darren wrote:
*shakes snow off of shoes*

Oooh, pardon my manners.

*takes off hat and coat*

I might as well stay a while, no?

My name means "great rocky hill" in Old English. I am an Aquarius. Sometimes I think I'm Stan Lee. Sometimes I think I'm Joe The Plumber's leftie cousin. Sometimes I wake up and find myself in a dank, dingy warehouse doing manual labor. Sometimes I feel like screaming at Heaven. Sometimes I feel like barging into Hell and giving Lucifer a fat lip.

I want to be POTUS. I want to sing in a band that's only popular in Europe and Asia. I want to write the Great American Comic Book Story. I want to fight crime. I want to end that which causes crime. I want to save the world. I want to fall in love. I want to be loved and hated by the right people. I want all of those things at once or at least in monthly installments.

I want to you decide for yourselves whether I am insane or brilliant.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/sarafaith7
Darren

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:31 am

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this the right place?   Is this the right place? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this the right place?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Writer's group East Online :: General :: Introductions-
Jump to: